Highest Grade in Safety – 2014 GMC Sierra at Davis GMC Buick Lethbridge
Blog Apr 01st, 2014
The regular and double cab versions of 2014 the GMC Sierra 1500 have received the highest possible 5-star Overall Vehicle Score for safety as part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s New Car Assessment Program.
Joining the previously tested 2014 crew cab models, which also received a 5-star overall score, all cab configurations of the Sierra 1500 series now have the highest possible Overall Vehicle Score. These models are the first pickup trucks to receive the 5-star NHTSA Overall Vehicle Score for safety since the implementation of more rigorous requirements for the 2011 model year.
“Our incredibly capable trucks have been engineered to be some of the safest,” said Gay Kent, GM general director of Vehicle Safety and Crashworthiness. “We’ve designed the vehicle structure, strategically placed high-strength steel and developed the occupant restraint system to achieve high levels of safety performance.”
“This level of vehicle performance is complemented by a full array of other advanced safety features to help protect our customers, no matter which new Silverado or Sierra they choose.”
Offering fully boxed frames and extensive use of high-strength steel, the Silverado and Sierra also offer available segment-exclusive safety features such as Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Safety Alert Seat. Safety features include:
- Forward collision alert technology helps prevent frontal crashes by alerting the driver when the truck is closing in on a vehicle ahead too quickly, giving him or her additional time to react and avoid a crash.
- Lane Departure Warning technology can alert the driver when the truck drifts over a lane line when traveling at least 56 km/h.
- Safety Alert Seat can warn the driver of traffic approaching from the left or right using directional seat vibration pulses. This patented warning approach is tied to all of the on-board crash avoidance systems.
- High-strength and ultra-high-strength steels are used extensively throughout each truck’s fully boxed frame to help improve performance in crashes.
- Rear Vision Camera with Dynamic Guidelines allows the driver, when in reverse, to see the area directly behind the vehicle via the eight-inch monitor on the centre stack, allowing for easier parking and backing maneuvers.
- New, standard lap belt pretensionsers in the front-seat outboard safety belts.
- Six standard air bags and 360-degree sensor system, including dual-stage frontal air bags, head-curtain side-impact air bags with rollover protection, and seat-mounted side-impact air bags.
- Available trailer-sway control works with StabiliTrak to provide the driver with additional assistance when towing a trailer. When it senses trailer sway, it intervenes with braking and/or reduced engine power to help bring the trailer under control.
- Four-wheel, four-channel, antilock disc brakes that help provide straight, more controlled stops by preventing wheel lock-up in most road conditions.
- OnStar is available, using GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar service also includes MyLink mobile apps, which offer vehicle information and OnStar services via the customer’s smartphone.
1 (403) 329-4444 | Lethbridge, Alberta