Welcome to the Mobility Program
At General Motors, we know just how important mobility is if you have a disability.
That’s why we’ve created the GM Mobility Program. It’s designed to help people with disabilities access the resources they need, and get a reimbursement of up to $1,000* towards the cost of adapting an eligible new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac.
To help you find the equipment and vehicle that’s right for you, we’ve included the information you’ll need and a number of links in the following pages, as well as a helpful overview you can download and keep.
Obtain an evaluation or visit your medical practitioner
First find a driver assessment facility and arrange for a complete evaluation. There are a number of facilities across the country, but if you’re not sure where to find one, you can always get in touch with the Ministry of Transportation or contact us at the GM Mobility Program. Your assessment should include suggestions about your driving and a list of vehicle modification recommendations.
If you already know what kind of adaptive equipment you need, you won’t need an evaluation. Your equipment installer will only need a physician’s authorization form.
Contact the Provincial Ministry of Transportation
In most provinces, people are required to report any changes in their medical status to the Provincial Ministry of Transportation. When you report a change in your medical status, the Ministry may conduct a medical review, and may need to alter your driving privileges for your safety. Also keep in mind that failure to report a change in your medical status may put your driver’s licence status in jeopardy altogether.
- Permanently installed in an eligible vehicle
- Installed for a driver or passenger with a permanent disability
- Vehicle conversion must be completed for eligible participants within 12 months of the new vehicle purchase/lease date.
- Regular production options and GM accessories are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Automatic Door Opener (when used with lift)
- Assist Handle
- Assist Step
- Transfer Platform
- Wheelchair and/or Scooter Lift
- Brakes — Reduced Effort
- Brake System — Emergency Backup
- Parking Brake — Push/Pull Control
- Parking Brake — Electric
- Parking Brake — Extension Lever
- Hand Controls
- Servo-Assisted Hand Controls
- Left Foot Accelerator
- Vinyl Seat Cover (Front Seating Area Only)†
- Extended Travel Transfer Seat (non-OEM Only)**
- Safety Belt Extenders
- Adaptive Steering Devices
- Steering Controls
- Foot-Control Steering
- Horizontal Steering
- Steering Column Extension
- Steering System — Emergency Backup
- Steering System — Reduced and Zero Effort
- Driving Consoles for Relocation of Secondary Controls
- Elbow Switches
- Gear Selector Lever for Left Hand
- Power Channels/Power Pan
- Turn Signal Lever for Right Hand
- Wheelchair Tie-Down and/or Lockdown System
- Joystick Driving Systems
- Inverter Installation
- Lowered Floor
- Quad Key Holder/Turner
- Raised Roof/Door (when used with a lift)
- Alert systems
GM Mobility Vans – The Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana
The full-size Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana mobility vans provide abundant interior space, cargo capacity,† and accessibility that wheelchair and scooter users can appreciate. Express and Savana are practical choices for installing adaptive equipment and mobility accessories like wheelchair lifts, ramps, running boards, and driver aids.††
What’s more, the Express and Savana mobility vans offer amenities, options, and safety features that help make every outing more comfortable and secure.
Get to know NMEDA
NMEDA is a non-profit trade association of mobility equipment dealers, driver rehabilitation specialists, and other professionals dedicated to broadening the opportunities for people with disabilities. To make sure you have the chance to drive or be transported in a vehicle modified with adaptive equipment, they maintain an up-to-date list of dealers and installers across the country. Use the NMEDA search tool to find an adaptive equipment dealer near you.
Find out more about NMEDA or contact them at 1-800-833-0427.
Make sure you get proper training
The equipment installer and/or driver evaluator should train you in the proper use, care and maintenance of your adaptive equipment and vehicle control system.
For the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program, in effect until January 4, 2021, you must purchase or lease a new 2020 or 2021 Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle.
Can I use the reimbursement with other factory rebates and incentives?
Yes. Speak to your dealer about other offers available to you.
I don’t see my adaptive equipment on your eligibility list. How do I find out if I can reimbursed?
Please feel free to contact us at the GM CANADA MOBILITY ASSISTANCE CENTRE:
1-800-GM-DRIVE (463-7483) English/French (TTY users, 1-800-263-3830).
How soon after I purchase or lease my new vehicle do I have to complete the equipment installation and apply for reimbursement?
To take advantage of the GM Mobility Reimbursement Program, you must have the vehicle adapted and submit a claim within 12 months of the date of purchase/lease. Other program rules apply.
Are there any other ways I can offset the cost of purchasing adaptive equipment?
The Canadian government does offer tax credits and rebate programs for some adaptive equipment. Contact your Provincial Ministry of Transportation for more information.
Where can I find a qualified equipment installer?
If you’re not sure where to find qualified installers in your area, the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA), your provincial rehabilitation services agency and the Ministry of Transportation are good sources of information.
Where can I get a driver evaluation?
There are a number of facilities across the country, but if you’re not sure where to find one, you can always get in touch with your local Ministry of Transportation or contact us at the GM Mobility Program at 1-800-GM-DRIVE (463-7483).
* Up to $1,000 (tax exclusive) credit available on eligible new 2020 or 2021 MY Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac delivered by January 4th, 2021 to eligible customers. Only certain equipment and adaptations are acceptable for the credit under the program. Proof of eligibility must be provided upon request. GM Canada may modify or terminate program in whole or in part at any time without notice. See dealer for details.
**GM Mobility will not reimburse for relocation of, or modification to, original equipment seats or seat tracks.
†Only if vehicle is not available with vinyl/leather.