This Month's Question
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500, and I am having an issue with my replacement key I just had cut… When I try to start my truck, it triggers an anti-theft message on my dashboard, but I copied the key that came with my truck???
Sincerely, Keyless in Kitscoty
Dear Keyless in Kitscoty,
Thank you for your submission. You may need to call/come in and speak to one of our service advisors to fully troubleshoot your issue (403-329-4444), however, if it is the anti-theft feature, it is usually due to the use of a key that has not been programmed correctly for your vehicle...
A couple questions to consider:
- Is the key you are using a genuine GM key?
- Did you purchase it from a dealership, or was it copied by a retailer (such as kiosk, or a locksmith/key cutter?)
If this is the case, the key you had cut may open the door, and fit into the steering column, however, it will trigger the anti-theft system when used to start the vehicle! Many of the keys in modern vehicles have a computer chip in the top of the key that can trigger the anti-theft system, if not programmed correctly to the vehicle, by a genuine GM dealer/supplier. Also, on model year 2017 (and up) vehicles, the key fob will need to be programmed at the same time.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with, and I will get back to you asap.
Have a great day!
- Dear Jarrett: How do I set up my Apple Car Play / Android Auto
- Dear Jarrett: How do I use my wireless charging station?
- Dear Jarrett: Dual Climate Zone Control
- Dear Jarrett: Key fob tricks with a properly equipped vehicle
- Dear Jarrett: Can I use a USB Stick to play Music?